Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Demolition updates

When collecting the tap fees and permits for sewer from NA, I was informed that they need a demolition permit (plus a $50 fee of course) to be filed, alongside the one from the Columbus FD.

And, since no step in dealing with the local govt is complete without discovering another permit, I found out I have to complete the Franklin County "Water Well Abandonment Plan" and the "Septic Fill Plan". So, I've called the county to see how much those will cost.

The Columbus FD also informed me that they need a $700 "donation" for burning the house down. They charge $.35 per sq/ft to cover expenses. I don't begrudge that since I'm writing off the full $105K the house was appraised at. Still, it's just another ticky tack expense that goes on the pile.

C0lumbus needs to see that we've remediated the asbestos that was found and then they'll apply with the EPA for permission to schedule the burn. That takes about 10 days, so we're probably about 14 days out from having a burn date scheduled.

Columbus FD seems to have a lot more refined and formal process for these training burns than the Delaware Fire Academy did.